Saturday, March 24, 2012

Friends



Most of us have friends who are in the world.

Sometimes I forget that some of my friends aren’t believers of Jesus Christ. It’s hard to think or even picture some of my friends not being able to go to Heaven. As a young person, we don’t usually think of our secular friends as “projects” or people that we need to “convert”, it can be difficult to speak about God and the love of Christ to the ones that know us better than some of parents and have seen us do and say different things that may not have been very “Christian”. You don’t know how to approach a friend about the matter and don’t want to risk losing them as a friend or causing some friction in your friendship. 

I completely understand how awkward it can be to be around your friend or group of friends when God or the Church is brought up in your presence. Those are really the opportunities to share that you believe in God or clear any misconceptions that are being made known. 

In some cases all we can do and show the love of Christ through our actions towards them and others. 

I believe that we should have like-minded Christian friends, however I can’t say that we shouldn’t have some secular ones too. I think we need to be able to tap in to how the young people and kids are who are living the world.

Sometimes it feels like Christians try to completely isolate themselves from anything that even “smells” like “the world”…

But really we need to get out there to reach those who are caught up in the world.

However, unless you are prayed up and have a strong foundation in Christ and are not afraid to speak about God in the company of non believers, then I would say to go out and reach those who are in the world. But if you do not even feel remotely comfortable with doing so, I would limit my contact with non believers.


Don’t be ashamed of not being able to “convert” your friends, we can only do what we can in the moment.

No comments: