Saturday, February 18, 2012

Instant Gratification


Living in a world with iPhones, iPads, GPS and social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and the now defunct Myspace we have learned how to get the information we want to know instantaneously. As a society we have become more and more impatient with people and other devices whenever we don’t get what we want within seconds. I’m probably one of the biggest offenders when it comes to my internet browser moving to slow when only a minute has by and I’m opening up a large file. 


We all know that it didn’t take very long for the news of Whitney Houston’s death to get out to the world. The news of her death went out via twitter by someone’s daughter in the same hotel as Whitney just minutes after her body was found. It was only a few hours before the news stations starting reporting on it the same day.


Can you imagine a world before we had these smart phones and networking sites?? Well it has only been a matter of a couple decades that all of these things have come about.


Sometimes we forget that life wasn’t always like this, there was a time when no one emailed or texted each other and instead hand wrote letters or used typewriters….which can be hard to imagine for those younger than myself…I was born in 1989 so needless to say that I didn’t experience having a household who didn’t have a computer in the house. However I did use a typewriter whenever I wanted to make labels, but that was all that I thought it was good for because just a couple feet away was my dad’s giant desktop computer.
In a time when we need to be more patient, loving and gentle, we have a whole different area of our personalities to adjust because of we have grown accustomed to our fast paced lifestyles.



To be continued……………

No comments: