Thursday, February 2, 2012

Importance of Tithing




It wasn’t until shortly after becoming born again that I learned that first I need to become a tither.

In Genesis 14:20 , Melchizedek comes out to meet Abraham, as Abraham gives him a tithe of the spoils of his victory.

It took me a few days at first to understand how I am supposed to tithe…

Deuteronomy 14:22-29

“22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.”

Your tithe is supposed to be one tenth of the amount you receive from your wages, unemployment, student aid, disability, social security and so on. The amount that you are working with is the amount of money you have after taxes, so if you have $300 after taxes you take one tenth of that *$300 divided by 10*, therefore you owe $30 in tithes to your local church. Assuming that you have a church that you go to that you see is doing what they are suppose to scripturally. 

The way I think of tithing, to prevent my mind form wanting to keep the tithe that I owe is to think of it as another mandatory tax…We don’t get to choose when we get taxed on items or services purchased, right? So goes the tithe we owe to our church. Those tithes are not our own according to the bible, that one tenth that we take out and give to our church already belongs to God, it is not ours to choose what to do with. By keeping “our” tithe, we are robbing God….

Malachi 3:8-10
8 “Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me.
                 “But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’
 “In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

Make it an automatic thing, to immediately separate your tithe from your paycheck or whatever moneys you receive by any other means to live off of as soon as you get it, so as to not overspend or get use to have a certain amount in your banking account.

More to come……..

No comments: