Thursday, October 13, 2011

~Sexual Purity pt.3


Start a dialogue with one another.

Like Pastor Drew had said in bible study this week, there needs to be communication between the younger and older generations. More so, older women should be sharing relationship and sexual experiences, within reason, without vulgarity, with their daughters. The conversation is needed because every woman’s sexual experiences are different yet as females, we all have been tempted and felt the same emotions at one point or another.

Experiences such as rape, being pressured in to having sex earlier than they wanted, being tricked in to doing sexual acts, lured by strange men into dangerous situations and locations, waiting to have sex after marriage, and so on need to be shared! 

Unfortunately, many women from the older generation have been generally raised to keep certain “information” secret in order to “protect” the family name or to “protect” the children. In all actuality it just harms the person who has to keep those secrets and others who can learn from those experiences. I can personally relate to the secret keeping issue in my family, involving the elders in my family. There is an issue with the elders in my family who like to keep everything hush hush, such as women’s ages, weight, height, affairs, and certain medical issues-illnesses and so on. Thus, resulting in many of my family members living with crippling medical issues, cantankerous personalities, and deep depression.  

I am thankful that my mom broke that bondage off of herself. At one point she decided that she wouldn’t hold back anything that she feels needs to be shared. When I think about it, there aren’t any secrets that she withholds from me, from the good to the bad. I feel that because of that, I haven’t felt the need to “explore” or “experiment” with anything because she has already been there and dealt with others who have.

No comments: