Sunday, August 11, 2013

Leaving your father’s teachings behind…


In Genesis chapter 12, Abram (Abraham) was told by to leave his father’s teachings behind to move forward into his purpose.


This still applies today. This implies both literally and figuratively, our parents do their best to teach us things that will help form us into law abiding citizens and well-rounded people. However, when it comes to the things of God, we can rely on our parent’s teachings alone, we have to follow the word of God to.
A lot of times those things that our parents have taught us are errors and we cannot accept those errors just because that’s what you were taught. I use to say “well how was I supposed to know,I wasn’t raised like that…”  When I look back at that sentence I realized that I was allowing what I was taught by my parents prevent me from maturing in God.


Mama and Daddy aren’t always right,even though we still have to respect and obey them as long as it does not interfere with what is right in God’s eyes. You can not be limited to what you were taught by others, you have to be able to learn and adapt to new things because in order to walk the path to our purpose everything is not going to be familiar. For someone who doesn’t like surprises and likes routine and familiarity like me, God will help us branch out little by little according to what He knows we are capable of handling.


I believe that it is important to know that your walk/purpose may not be revealed to you until you are 90 years old, so don’t let the fact that you haven’t discovered what you purpose is discourage you, just know it will be revealed in due time and just stay focused on the Lord. I used to think that I was so behind in life and in my walk because I wasn’t sure what my purpose is, even to the point of anxiety that I wouldn’t find it. It was reassuring to hear in church today, that we have no need to be in hurry or feel left out because we haven’t found it yet.



Don’t give up hope and don’t let previous teachings of our loved ones hinder our growth.

No comments: